4.5. Relocating to Mallorca

Relocating to another country is a big move and one to be taken with care. Living in Spain may be your dream but there are still certain technicalities which need to be considered. Done properly, your move to Mallorca will be a wonderful new beginning, so let’s work together to make sure it is everything you hope it will be.

Different countries have different laws and regulations on relocating to Spain, so check with your embassy or consulate to find out about which apply to you. 

Things to consider are:

Important documents

Make sure you have all your important personal documents available and if necessary have official copies and translations made before you leave your country of residence. Important documents may include: Birth and marriage certificates, naturalisation, passport, green card, proof of citizenship, etc, Social security cards, vaccinations, medical and dental records,insurance policies, academic records and diplomas, employment records, proof of residency (utility bill, statement, etc.), living will and testament. 

Paper Work

There is an endless stream of paperwork involved in moving and living in Spain. The Spaniards tend to employ the services of a Administrative Services Provider (Gestoría) and most foreigners do too. It eases the stress of trying to understand the longwinded official Spanish procedures involved in doing practically anything. Make sure you employ the services of an English speaking Gestor.


Talk to your bank or an insuance broker about getting your new property insured. If you are planning to be away for long periods be sure to mention this too.

Driving in Mallorca

You have to pay an annual road tax to drive in Mallorca, and pass your ITV ( Inspecció Técnica de Vehiculos), Spanish MOT equivalent, once a year, if your vehicle is over 4 years old. For newer cars the ITV inspection is every 2 years. ITV inspections are carried out at official ITV centres. Most mechanics will take your car to pass the ITV inspection for you, for a small fee.

Driver’s License 

You will have to register your driving license with the traffic authorities. You will also need to get an International driver’s permit/ license (IDP/L). You will have to carry both your national driving license and the International driver’s permit on you when driving in Mallorca.

Rules and taxes on shipping your car

In order to import a vehicle to Mallorca, you will need to register it at the offical traffic office in Palma de Mallorca (Trafico) and pay the importation tax. If you own a property in Mallorca you can drive your vehicle with its original registration plates for 30 days on the island. If you plan to stay longer you will need to change over to Spanish registration plates.


Public and private health in Mallorca is widely available a high standard, with a variety of clinics, hospitals, health centres, GPs, dentists, nursing and maternity services and medical specialists. 

The UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is valid for holidaymakers and temporary visitors who need to use the state health system while in another EU country. If you are not normally a resident of the UK, and therefore do not have entitlement to a UK-issued EHIC, the Spanish authorities may decide to treat you as a private patient.

If you have private healthcare in your country of origin you may be able to transfer it over to Spain. Shop around locally too and see if it is worth doing or whether it suits you more to get a local private health insurance provider. Policies vary as do conditions.


If you are a UK state pensioner living in Mallorca and registered for healthcare with an S1, the UK is responsible for issuing your EHIC ( European Health Insurance Card) to use on a temporary stay in the UK and a third EU country

If you are in receipt of a UK old age state pension or long term sickness benefit register with your local INSS office, before you register with your local GP surgery and obtain a medical card.

State Healthcare in Spain

You are entitled to public health care in Spain if:

  • you are registered to work in Spain and make national insurance contributions
  • you registered as a resident in Spain before 24 April 2012, have an annual income of less than €100,000 
  • you are in receipt of a UK old age state pension or long term sickness benefit
  • you are a worker seconded to Spain, or the family member of a someone making UK national insurance contributions
  • you are coming to study or are currently studying in Spain as part of a UK-recognised course
  • you are a child or a pregnant woman 

Schools and Education

Mallorca has a national public school system which uses both the national language (Spanish) and the regional language (Catalan), on a 50-50 basis. English is being gradually introduced into the regional curriculum to much debate.

There are also 9 private international schools, located primarily in the southeast of the island. There are 4 British schools, a German and Scandinavian school and a French Licee as well as a British sixth form college. Long waiting lists are standard so plan ahead.


To work in Mallorca you need a NIE number and a Social Security card and number, you will have to pay contributions which will in turn provide you with state healthcare.

Setting up a business

If you want to set up your own business you will also need a NIE number and your qualifications may need to be officially recognised. A professional business advisor will help you determine what kind of legal structure is best suited to your business plan.


The main utilities are water and electricity.

Before you move in, arrange for the meter to be read and the contract to be put in your name and to be reconnected, if it has been switched off.

By providing the utility companies with a copy of the title deeds of the property and your ID you can prove ownership.

Water is usually administered directly at the town hall.


Moving a pet (animal domestic o mascota) to Mallorca from elsewhere within the European Union is fairly easy. Moving pets to Spain from outside the European Union, or from the UK and Ireland can become more complicated. Ensure your pet has all the necessary vaccinations, an identification microchip and all the paperwork in place and moving a pet to Mallorca is relatively hassle free.

The main two documents you will need are:

The European Pet Passport (EU Pet Passport). This allows qualifying domestic animals (dogs, cats and ferrets) free border crossing within Europe. 

The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS). This allows qualifying domestic animals (dogs, cats and ferrets) travel to and from the UK without quarantine. 



Related questions and answers

Still having doubts ? Don't worry Ask Question